Pages

Thursday, August 20, 2015

Preserving Avocados


Our Miss Meghan has struggled with eating and weight gain her entire life (I know - it's only been 18 months - but, that's a long time to struggle with this skill!). To ensure that she is getting as many calories as she needs to learn and grow cognitively, socially, and physically we are giving her a variety of high-calorie, nutrient-dense foods as we can. Avocados are one of those foods! She usually eats about 2-3 ounces of pureed avocado per day.

Avocados usually go on sale a few times during the summer for $.25-$.30 a piece. At that price, I pick up a ton of them (40 this time) and preserve them for Meghan to eat over the next few months.

They are super easy to preserve.....check this out!


I cut open the avocados and squeeze all of the meat into a food processor. When it's mostly full (5-7 avocados), I add about 1/2 a cup of water to the food processor and start it blending. Sometimes I need to add a bit more water part way through.


*Note* If you want to use this avocado for quacamole and not to feed to a little one, you may not need any water!


I then use a spoonula to drop avocado onto my TOVOLO tray. I then tap it on the counter top a few times to pop any bubbles. Then I use a smooth sided spatula to spread the avocado level, wipe the rim of the tray with a cloth, place the TOVOLO tray into a 6 cup pyrex and stick it in the freezer.


24 hours later, pop the cubes out of the tray and put them all in a gallon bag. They are ready to be stored!

I'm amazed at how green this puree comes out of the freezer and how very fresh they taste! It's a great way to take advantage of such low prices on a food that can be enjoyed all year round! Especially since our little one will (and should) eat so much!

An adorable kitchen helper is beneficial to this process :)


No comments:

Post a Comment