Pages

Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Gluten Free Play Doh


Since I have celiac disease, we have determined that we will keep Meghan gluten free until at least age 2. This means that if I wanted to introduce her to play-doh, I would need to make it at home.

I combined several recipes that I found online until I found the exact kind of recipe that I wanted. It was simple and frugal and has provided so much fun for my little girl!

1 c. water
1.5 t. coconut oil
1 c. white rice flour
1/2 c. cornstarch
1/2 c. salt
1 T. cream of tartar

Put all ingredients in a pot and heat over medium-low heat. Stir constantly while cooking. As though dough starts to thicken it will begin to pull away from the edges of the pot easily. Once thickened, dump onto a piece of parchment paper to cool. Split into two equal balls, indent with your thumb, and add a few drops (3-5) of food coloring if desired. Mix together until color in constant throughout the ball. If, as it's cooling it doesn't feel as though the dough is "stiff" enough - gently mix additional cornstarch into the ball.


This dough makes an incredible dough! I like it better than traditional Play-Doh and will probably continue making it even if we find out that Meghan can have gluten. I thoroughly enjoy playing with this dough with Meghan.

No comments:

Post a Comment