We have been eating oatmeal as a family for breakfast since Meghan was almost a year old. She LOVES oatmeal. I love that it fills us all up until lunch, is inexpensive (even with needing to purchase gf oats) and provides lots of nutrition (including those all-important feel-good B vitamins!).
We soak our oatmeal to make it easier to digest. It's a simple process and has just become a part of my evening/morning routine.
We also use certified gluten free oats. This is very important if one of the people eating the oatmeal has celiac disease. Oats are often processed on the same machinery as wheat and is easily cross-contaminated. We purchase gluten free oats 50 lbs at a time through Azure Standard.
1) The night before, put 1 cup of oats in the bottom of a 4 cup measuring cup. Add 1 T. of lemon juice and fill to the 4 cup line with water. Let sit uncovered over night.
2) In the morning, notice how much the oats have swelled and dump them into a strainer and rinse them off.
3) Use the measuring cup to measure 1 c. of milk. Heat milk in a pot on the stove until just starting to steam.
4) Add the oats to the milk and cook until it reaches your desired consistency.
5) Add any desired flavorings and enjoy!
It's such a simple process and a simple breakfast....but it works so well for our family!