Pages

Monday, December 1, 2014

Storing Up & Saving Money :: Pressure Canning Potatoes

It's the week after Thanksgiving and we have BIG plans at the Hoosier Homestead....we are doing more pressure canning! This pressure canner has been earning it's keep the last few weeks!

We were able to purchase 40 lbs of potatoes for $6 - so now I am in the process of washing, peeling, chopping, and canning them. I thought I would bring you along!

We own a 23 Quart Presto Pressure Canner. I got a refurbished one on Amazon with some gift money and it has proven itself to be a fabulous canner and well worth the money! It can can 7 quarts or 18 pints (when you purchase a second rack and stack them) at a time! Today I am canning quarts because those are the jars I have empty right now - we have been doing so much canning this fall that I am almost out of jars!

Here's how we pressure can potatoes at the Hoosier Homestead:

1) Wash, peel, and chop your potatoes into the size you want. As you do this, load your jars leaving at least 1" of headspace in the jars. (I find that with my size of dice, I can fit 10 lbs in 7 quarts.)


2) Add water to the jars, tap to clear the bubbles, wipe the rims clean, and then top with pre-boiled lids and bands.


3) Add the jars to the pressure canner. Add water according to your canner's directions,. Mine calls for 3 quarts of water.



Cute baby, under foot, looking under your floor mats is optional (though, I sure enjoy having mine around!)

4) Place the lid on your canner (not the weight), put the burner on high, and allow to come to a full boil. Steam will begin coming out of the part where the weight will sit - let this steam flow for 10 minutes and then add the weight.


5) Allow the pressure to rise to 10 lbs, increasing or decreasing the temperature as needed to maintain pressure, and can for 40 minutes.


6) After 40 minutes, turn off the heat and allow the canner to return to normal pressure (this takes a while!). Remove your jars from the canner.


And then, if you're me, think about how happy you are to see those potatoes ready for your family to use and thank God for the blessing of having food to put up and that your family does not have to worry at each meal where the food will come from.

No comments:

Post a Comment