Pages

Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Homemade Dryer Sheets

I don't feel the need to use extra chemicals in our dryer in order to keep our clothes from sticking to each other due to static - it's just not worth using chemicals on clothes that will be up against our skin to me. But, that static can be very annoying - particularly in the winter!

A solution to this problem are these super simple, super frugal dryer sheets. I bought a large pack of cheap washcloths and some Mrs. Meyers (or any all-natural) Fabric Softener.

The process was super simple:

  1. Mix one part fabric softener with two parts water. Make as much or as little depending on how many sheets you want to make at once. 
  2. One by one, soak your washcloths in the mixture, ring them out, and hang them to dry. 
  3. Once they are dry, store them in an a container in your laundry room. 

I add one of these washcloths to each load of drying that I have done and have not had issues with static and have enjoyed a bit of a lavender (not strong) scent on our clothes. I have had good luck using these cloths for about 7-10 dryer loads before I notice just a bit of static and start using a new cloth on the next load. 

When I made up these cloths, I used a pack of 20 washcloths and about 1/3 of the bottle of fabric softener. So, if each cloth only did 7 loads of laundry, I will get 420 dryer loads out of that one bottle. I could get as many as 600 loads if I use each cloth ten times!


When a sheet is no longer useful in the dryer, I store them in this wet bag behind the laundry room door - they will all be ready for me when it's time to make more!

It's works out to just a bit cheaper than name brand dryer sheets. But, since I have allergic reactions to those, we would have had to buy all natural dryer sheets anyways. And those run much, much more expensive than my homemade sheets. Plus, we are not creating the waste of a sheet each time we do a load of drying. Seems like a pretty good choice to me! 

** Just a Note: I do not use these when I dry Meghan's cloth diaper inserts!

No comments:

Post a Comment